Health Secretary of Vojvodina: Novak Djokovic’s PCR test was valid

Health Secretary of Vojvodina Zoran Gojkovic stated that Novak Djokovic’s PCR test from December 16 was valid.

Djokovic, ranked at No. 1 in the world, used a positive COVID-19 test from December 16 while applying for a medical exemption. 

Djokovic was ultimately granted a medical exemption for the Australian Open.

After it was revealed Djokovic used a positive COVID-19 test from December 16, some were skeptical and even accused the Serb of falsifying a COVID-19 test to be granted a medical exemption.

“What he did afterwards is not a question for me,” Djokovic noted.

Serbian Health Secretary stated that #Djokovic PCR test is valid. “What he did afterwards is not a question for me”.

— Saša Ozmo (@ozmo_sasa) January 14, 2022

*Health Secretary of Vojvodina, an autonomous province in Serbia, to be precise.

— Saša Ozmo (@ozmo_sasa) January 14, 2022

Djokovic admitted he went out while COVID-19 positive

After it was revealed Djokovic tested positive for COVID-19 on December 19, he had to do some explaining.

Djokovic was spotted attending public events in Belgrade on December 17 and 18. 

“I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations. 
I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID 19. Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day,” Djokovic said in a statement.

“The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative. I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event.

“I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken.

“While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment.”

Leave a Reply