Borna Coric delays comeback, withdraws from Australian Open

Former world No. 12 Borna Coric has delayed his comeback once again as he has withdrawn from the Australian Open.

Coric, now ranked at No. 89 in the world, underwent a shoulder surgery last May. 

Coric traveled with the Croatian team to the Davis Cup Finals but pulled out of the event at the last moment. 

Coric was hoping he would be ready to start the season in time as he was the first player to arrive to Australia.

Unfortunately for the Croatian, he announced his withdrawal from the Australian Open on Thursday. 

Coric’s best Australian Open result came in 2019, when he made the round-of-16 before losing to Lucas Pouille. 

Coric felt the surgery was the right thing to do 

“Hi everyone, I am currently in New York as I had surgery on my right shoulder yesterday. I have been dealing with shoulder pain for some time now and despite trying a whole range of recovery techniques it was clear a more permanent solution was needed. After talking to leading doctors together with my team, I decided the best option was to have surgery,” Coric said in a Facebook post in May. “The operation went extremely well, I am very thankful to the HSS Sports Medicine Institute team and especially doctor David Altchek.

“Now it is time to recover and work hard to be back on court soon. Thank you for all the support as always.” 

Last year, Coric spoke about his motivation and what keeps him going. 

“My first and biggest motivation is always the game. I love it and enjoy competing. So for me, the only thing which is tough is travel with all the COVID testings and all the things we need to do to arrive at a certain place, which is not easy.But playing tennis is something I love, so I do not have a problem with motivation,” Coric told Sportskeeda.

It remains to be seen when will Coric be ready to make his return.

Leave a Reply