Sebastian Korda withdraws from Adelaide

World No. 41 Sebastian Korda has withdrawn from Adelaide.

Korda, 21, had been expected to kick off his season in the opening week of the season in Adelaide. 

Unfortunately for the organizers, one of the most talented players in the world won’t be featuring the event. 

Following the withdrawal of Korda, a place in the Adelaide main draw opened for Thiago Monteiro.

Adelaide 1 update:
OUT: Korda
IN: Monteiro
Next: JM Cerundolo

— Entry List Updates (@EntryLists) December 29, 2021

Monteiro is ranked at No. 89 in the world and now he won’t have to play qualifying in Adelaide. 

Korda ended 2021 with a good result

Korda made the final at the Next Gen ATP Finals, before losing to Carlos Alcaraz.

Alcaraz, 18, saw off Korda 4-3 (5) 4-2 4-2 in the final in Milan. 

“Carlos played incredibly well. I had some chances in the first set, but I didn’t take them. He was better on the important points, especially in the tie-break. Right now he is playing much better than his ranking indicates, I don’t think he will be in that place for long,” Korda said of Alcaraz after the final.

Despite the loss, it was a positive season for Korda.

Korda captured his maiden ATP title in Parma in May, as well as achieved a career-high ranking of No. 38 in the world. 

Also, korda made his maiden Grand Slam round-of-16 at Wimbledon.

Reflecting on the 2021 season, Korda’s coach Theodor Devoty said: “It was a complicated start to the season. We were in Belgrade, Munich and Madrid and he lost in the first round each time. Then we came to our base in Prague and we talked and did two weeks of practise and went to Parma. First round he played [Andreas] Seppi, a tough match. He won in three sets and then it started. That was the first tournament with his girlfriend and he lifted the trophy. He beat [Lorenzo] Sonego and in the final, he beat [Marco] Cecchinato. It was an amazing week and we enjoyed it a lot and it was great. It helped with his confidence.”

Leave a Reply