‘The young players will challenge Roger Federer, Nadal, Djokovic’, says ace

Tennis has been dominated by Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic for the past decade and a half. Although they are getting closer to the epilogue of their careers, the Big 3 still manage to give the Next Gen a hard time. Suffice it to say that the Serbian has won three Majors this year and ended the season at the top of the ATP rankings. for the seventh time ever. The world number 1 also reached the final at the US Open, but had to surrender to Daniil Medvedev at the end of a one-way match. As if that weren’t enough, the 34-year-old from Belgrade posted his 37th Masters 1000 by triumphing in Paris-Bercy. The situation of Roger and Rafa is very different, limited by a series of injuries and far from top form. The Swiss played just 13 official matches in 2021, while the Spaniard was affected by a foot problem. During an exclusive interview with the ‘Essentially Sports’ portal, the young Danish talent Holger Rune expressed his admiration for the three sacred monsters.

Rune opens up on the Big 3

Recently, Danish tennis player Holger Rune felt that the young players will challenge Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic on a regular basis. He stated, “Well, that’s the plan. I hope so, I hope the young guys will, also me. I’m telling myself also to come and take over and see some new guys up there. We have already seen some new guys like Zverev, Medvedev even though they’ve been on tour for a while now. But still, it’s just great not to see Roger, Rafa all the time, and Novak, even though they’re probably the best of our sport.” The 18-year-old added, “We miss those matches when they play against each other. But it’s good fun, also for the audience, to have some new blood into it and, and some new energy for sure. Also, for us, it’s fun, because we’re so young and we’ve always looked up to these guys and looked up to those tournaments to play them. And now we’re finally here. So it’s about giving everything we have and really doing as well as possible.” Rafael Nadal’s comeback has suffered yet another setback as he has tested positive for COVID-19. He was in Abu Dhabi last week for the 2021 Mubadala World Tennis Championship, which concluded on Saturday. Nadal said that his earlier tests in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi during his stay in the Middle East were all negative, with the latest reports coming on Saturday. “Both in Kuwait and Abu Dhabi we passed controls every two days and all were negative, the last being on Friday and having the results on Saturday,” the Spaniard wrote.

 

Leave a Reply