Former world No. 1 Roger Federer is hoping that Peng Shuai is safe and that soon we will heard from the former doubles world No. 1.
Peng went missing in China after accusing China’s former vice premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault and for the last week tennis players and governing bodies of the game have been calling for the clarity on Peng’s safety.
Federer, a 20-time Grand Slam champion, underwent a season-ending knee surgery in August and this Saturday he appeared on Sky Sport Italia.
“I hope that she is safe. The tennis world is united for her,” Federer said.
Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic speak publicly on the Peng case
Djokovic has already spoken multiple times on the Peng disappearance, while Nadal told L’Equipe that he is following the news regarding Peng and that he is hoping she is safe.
This week, the WTA received a mail that was claimed to be sent from Peng.
The WTA didn’t believe that the mail was indeed sent by Peng.
“The statement released today by Chinese state media concerning Peng Shuai only raises my concerns as to her safety and whereabouts,” WTA CEO Steve Simon said.
“I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believes what is being attributed to her. Peng Shuai displayed incredible courage in describing an allegation of sexual assault against a former top official in the Chinese government. The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof that she is safe. I have repeatedly tried to reach her via numerous forms of communication, to no avail.
“Peng Shuai must be allowed to speak freely, without coercion or intimidation from any source. Her allegation of sexual assault must be respected, investigated with full transparency and without censorship.
“The voices of women need to be heard and respected, not censored nor dictated to.”