Gael Monfils gives Novak Djokovic walkover at Paris Masters

French tennis star Gael Monfils has withdrawn from his Paris Masters round-of-16 clash against world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. 

Monfils, ranked at No. 22 in the world, suffered a nasty fall during his second round win over Adrian Mannarino. 

After the match, Monfils indicated he could be forced to miss the Djokovic clash. 

Monfils was hoping to get a chance to beat Djokovic for the first time in front of his home fans. 

“I’m going to have an x-ray, so we’ll see how my body will react. When I’m 100% fit, I have not defeated ever Djokovic so far, so now that I’m not 100% fit, my chances are very low. I will see what decision I will make. We’ll see,” Monfils said after beating Mannarino. 

Monfils gives Djokovic a free pass into the quarterfinal 

On Tuesday, Djokovic beat Marton Fucsovics 6-2 4-6 6-3 in his Paris opener. 

“It was great to be back on the court after almost two months without competition,” Djokovic said. “I did not expect anything but I knew this was not going to be an easy match. Marton is a very talented player, he has a lot of quality. It was a great fight. I couldn’t break his serve, he was playing with a lot of precision and we pushed each other to the limit. It was a great opening match for me. I am very pleased.”

Djokovic was out for a month and a half before returning to action in Paris.

“It is just about spending time on court, finding that match play intensity and playing more points,” Djokovic added. “The more matches I play, I think I am going to get better. I know myself well, I was in this situation before, quite a lot of times, so hopefully experience can play a role in doing the job well.”

Leave a Reply