Former world No. 1 Roger Federer admitted that opting to undergo another knee surgery was a difficult decision but he felt that was the right thing to do.
Federer, who underwent two knee surgeries last year, made his comeback this past March.
After losing in the Wimbledon quarterfinal, Federer pulled out of the Tokyo Olympics, before announcing a third knee surgery in August.
“It was a tough process to take that decision, just because I already had couple of knee surgeries last year,” Federer told American former world number one Jim Courier in an interview at the Laver Cup on Saturday.
“I was really unhappy with how things went at Wimbledon. I was just nowhere near where I wanted to be to play at the top, top level. But I tried my best and at the end, at some point, too much is too much. Now I’ve just got to take it step by step.”
Federer taking a slow approach
Federer, who turned 40 years of age last month, doesn’t want to rush anything as he is taking his time and trusting the process.
“I’ve got to first walk again properly, run properly and then do the sidesteps and all the agility work and then eventually I’ve got to be back on the tennis court,” he said.
“But it’s going to take me a few more months and then we’ll see how things are at some point next year. I’ve got to take my time. I don’t want to rush into anything at this point.
“This is also for my life. I want to make sure I can do everything I want to do later on. There’s no rush with anything, so I’m actually in a really good place. I think the worst is behind me. I’m really happy.”
Federer flew to Boston for this weekend’s Laver Cup.