Roger Federer had to deal with a serious knee problem last year, which kept him out of the game for a long time. The former world number 1 underwent two surgeries between March and June, almost coinciding with the outbreak of the pandemic and the suspension of the tour. The Swiss champion only returned to the field in March 2021, allowing himself a picnic in Doha just to get back into the habit of competitive activity. Many feared that this setback would convince the King to hang up his racket, but the 39-year-old from Basel surprised everyone once again. A little while ago the news arrived that the 20-time Grand Slam champion will be present at the Tokyo Olympic Games, where he will try to win that gold medal in singles that is still missing from his boundless showcase. In a press conference during the Wimbledon tournament, Federer retraced the difficult moments that followed his knee injury.
Roger Federer sustained a knee injury last year
Roger Federer underwent two knee surgeries in 2020. However, the 39-year-old’s grit and stubbornness did not hold him back; he made a comeback in March this year. “Of course you have positive thinking. I was positive in itself wanting to. How do you say it? I just want to be healthy again, you know. So that’s worth it in itself to go through rehab, work hard and do all that stuff. Is it still worth it? I think its normal that after every surgery, going in or coming out of it when you are on crutches, is it really worth it?,” said Federer in an interview with Tennis Channel. The All England Club announced earlier on Sunday that capacity crowds would be allowed in for the quarterfinals, semifinals and final at Wimbledon this year. “Following the successful staging of the first week of the Championships, as agreed with the Government’s Events Research Programme and in consultation with our Local Authority in Merton, the AELTC is pleased to confirm that Centre and No.1 Court will feature 100% capacity crowds for the Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Finals,” Wimbledon organizers said in a statement. The Australian Open and the French Open this year increased fan attendance after the number of COVID-19 infections reduced, and Wimbledon has now taken that a step further. Fans attending matches will still be required to follow strict health regulations. They will be required to show proof of their COVID-19 status on arrival, or a negative lateral flow test for those aged 11 and over.