French Tennis Federation chief Gilles Moretton released a statement following the Naomi Osaka withdrawal, claiming they are “sorry and sad” for the Japanese tennis star.
Osaka, who announced last week that she would not be participating in press conferences at the French Open, won her first round match at Roland Garros on Sunday.
Osaka later did an on-court interview but refused to do a press conference.
On Monday night, Osaka announced her French Open campaign was over.
“First and foremost, we are sorry and sad for Naomi Osaka. The outcome of Naomi withdrawing from Roland-Garros is unfortunate. We wish her the best and the quickest possible recovery, and we look forward to having Naomi at our Tournament next year,” Moretton said.
“As all the Grand Slams, the WTA, the ATP and the ITF, we remain very committed to all athletes’ well-being and to continually improving every aspect of players’ experience in our Tournament, including with the Media, like we have always strived to do.”
Osaka has been battling depression since 2018
“I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I withdraw so that everyone can get back to focusing on the tennis going on in Paris,” Osaka said.
“I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my timing was not ideal and my message could have been clearer.
“More importantly I would never trivialise mental health or use the term lightly.
“The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the US Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that.”
Osaka was fined $15,000 for refusing to do a press conference after her first round win.
“Naomi Osaka today chose not to honour her contractual media obligations. The Roland-Garros referee has therefore issued her a $15,000 fine, in keeping with article III H. of the Code of Conduct. The mental health of players competing in our tournaments and on the Tours is of the utmost importance to the Grand Slams,” the French Open organizers announced.