Russian tennis star Daniil Medvedev says he is back to being 100 percent and he is looking forward to the rest of his French Open campaign.
Medvedev, ranked at No. 2 in the world, handed a 6-3 6-3 7-5 loss to Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bublik in the French Open first round on Monday.
Medvedev had been scheduled to kick off his clay season at the Monte Carlo Masters but he was withdrawn from the tournament after testing positive for the coronavirus.
After getting out of mandatory quarantine, it took time for Medvedev to regain his condition.
“The first time I felt I was OK at 100% was ten days ago when I was back from Moscow. I thought I could play three hours and be OK. The more difficult with my COVID was between the second and the fifth day,” Medvedev said after beating Bublik, per Tennis Majors.
Medvedev in positive spirits
After dropping the opening two games of the match, Medvedev bounced back as he claimed three breaks to overturn the deficit and win the opener.
Medvedev then made a fast start to the second set, having taken an early 4-0 lead.
Bublik got one break back in the fifth game and saved two set points in the eighth game but Medvedev served out for the second set in the ninth game.
Bublik claimed the first break of the third set in the eighth game but then failed to serve out for the set in the following game.
After failing to serve out for the set, Bublik’s game fell apart as Medvedev broke him in the 11th game, before serving out for the match in the following game.
“I feel that, if he wants to beat me, the opponent will have to fight. And it’s good to know. And now I will be less stressed because I have nothing to lose. I feel ready to play well here, on that court, with these balls,” Medvedev added.
Medvedev plays next against Tommy Paul.