French tennis chief Gilles Moretton has confirmed that the French Open is on track to take place as scheduled they are still carefully monitoring the situation.
Last season, the French Open didn’t take place in its traditional late-May and early-June date as it kicked off in late-September.
“At the moment, we are on track, the tournament is on the scheduled date (May 23-June 6),” Moretton told AFP
“But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures — the worst being the outright cancellation, but I dare not imagine that.”
The French Open organizers are exploring their options for this year’s event.
“We are studying a lot of options for Roland Garros 2021,” added Moretton.
“There is the total range … or almost total because I dare not imagine a 100% crowd level.
“But that can start from behind closed doors to a level that will not be 100%. All the options with us are ready.
“We meet all the players regularly and we wait to see how things will turn out.”
The French Open in a different situation that the Australian Open was
“Before us, there are other tournaments like Monte Carlo which takes place on the same territory and which is outdoors,” Moretton underlined.
“After there are tournaments not too far away (Madrid, Rome), so we are not like the situation in Australia.”
Last year, world No. 3 Rafael Nadal defeated world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the French Open final to win a record 13th title at Roland Garros.
After Djokovic won a record ninth Australian Open title in February, his coach Goran Ivanisevic said he expects Nadal to win more French Open titles.
“Honestly, Rafa is going to win one more, maybe two for sure, French Opens”. Ivanisevic said at the time. “(So) you need to keep going winning. Novak is favourite in Wimbledon and US Open.”